PRAYER FOR THE FIFTH WEEK OF LENT: God of hope, from you come every blessing and all peace: Show us that, in the midst of our struggles, you are with us. Give us the abundance of your grace that we may do the work you give us to do and that we may be for the world a sign of your presence; through Christ, the Way and the Truth. Amen.
POT LUCK SUPPER & LENTEN PROGRAM — WEEK 4: APRIL 4, 6 P.M.: Please plan to join us for Week Four of our Tuesday evening Lenten Program, Speaking Our Faith, by the Rev. Dr. Kit Carlson, Episcopal priest. We begin with a Pot Luck supper at 6 p.m. The program follows at 6:45 and we end with Compline by 8. Even if you missed the first three weeks, you are welcome to join us for Weeks 4 and 5. This week, we will talk about who is the God we know; what is our relationship with God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and all of creation; what are the things that help us practice our faith; and how we put our faith into practice and action.
HERON POINT EPISCOPAL EUCHARIST, THURSDAY, APRIL 6, 2 P.M., QUIET ROOM: Please join Vicar Darcy on Thursday, April 6 at 2 p.m. in the Quiet Room for the monthly Episcopal service of Holy Eucharist at Heron Point. This service is open to all, but especially members of Emmanuel and St. Paul’s Kent. Fr. Frank St. Amour will officiate on May 4. All are welcome on the first Thursday of every month.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS TO SERVE AS LECTORS, INTERCESSORS, USHERS AND ACOLYTES: With summer vacation time approaching, we are looking for additional volunteers to serve as lectors, intercessors and ushers at Sunday morning services. If you are willing to serve please contact Laura in the Parish Office at 410-778-3477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or tell Vicar Darcy on Sunday. We are also looking for more acolytes! Any child who is at least 7 years of age is eligible to learn to be an acolyte. Adults are also welcome!
THANK YOU TO THE GROUNDS COMMITTEE: Many thanks to Ann Hedgepeth, Stu Baldwin, and all the others who faced the very cool weather on Sunday to clean up the leaves and weeds around the Rectory! Great job! It looks SO MUCH better!
THE RETREAT HOUSE AT HILLSBORO OFFERS SEVERAL NEW PROGRAMS
- Finding Voices: Non-violent listening and dialogue. 9 a.m. – 12 noon, Saturday, April 1, Monday, May 1
- Lenten Lunch Series; noon – 1:30 p.m., March 30 and April 6
For more information about these programs, please see the flyers in the Parish Hall, or go to http://retreathousehillsboro.org/ or write to email@example.com.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: THANK YOU to the Roberson Family (Apr 2) and the Rice Family (Apr 9) for signing up to host Coffee Hour! We are still looking for hosts for the rest of April and into May. If you can’t host at this time, please consider bringing baked goods, cookies, cheese and crackers, etc. and dropping them off for use on a Sunday or to be frozen for the future. Just put a note on your donation: “For Coffee Hour”
CHOIRMASTER SEARCH COMMITTEE: The Choirmaster Search Committee has been formed, with Sandy Bjork as chairperson. If you know of someone you think would be interested in applying to become Emmanuel’s next Choirmaster, please have them contact the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sandy at 301-675-3093.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. The 1% rebates go to the Food Pantry.
- APRIL FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- GIVE CHANGE TO MAKE CHANGE. Lenten collection to support the rebuilding of cabins at Camp Wright. To date we have collected over $1000 from the Pancake Supper and in the collection jars. Please help us reach $1500 by April 22 — Camp Wright Work Day.
Collect for April 2: Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Readings for April 2: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Lent/ALent5_RCL.html
Hymns for April 2: O Love of God, how strong and true (455); Thou art the Way, to thee (457)
Events next week:
Sunday, April 2: (Lent V)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II, “The Children Shall Lead” Sunday (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- Vestry Meeting (12 noon)
Monday, April 3:
- Knifty Knitters (2 p.m.) at Suzanne Fischer’s, 410-778-5593 (Please let the hostess know if you are unable to attend)
- EfM (5 p.m.)
Tuesday, April 4:
- GED (9 a.m.); ESL (6:30 p.m.)
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m.)
- Choir rehearsal (5 p.m.)
- Lenten Program and Pot Luck Supper (6 p.m.)
Wednesday, April 5:
- GED (canceled today)
- Bible Study (10:30 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist with anointing for healing (12 noon)
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
Thursday, April 6:
- Heron Point Eucharist (2 p.m.)
- Homework Study Hall (2:45 p.m.)
- ESL (6:30 p.m.)
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, April 7:
- Finance Committee (4 p.m.)
Saturday, April 8: no events scheduled
Sunday, April 9: (Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday):
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.), with Sunday School
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- April 4 & 11: “Speaking our Faith” Lenten Program and Pot Luck Supper (6 p.m.)
- April 7: Finance Committee Meeting (4 p.m.)
- April 9: Palm Sunday Liturgy (8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.)
- April 13: Maundy Thursday:
- Foot-washing (5 p.m.), Holy Eucharist & Stripping of the Altar (6 p.m.), One-hour Vigil (7:30 p.m.)
- April 14: Good Friday: services at noon and 6 p.m.
- April 16: Easter Sunday: services at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. with flowering of the cross and an Easter Egg Hunt
I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Baylin, David, Debbie, Fatima, Frank, Gracie, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Edna Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Sandy Hoon, Bill House, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, John Messer, Jim Naumann, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Harry Schreiber, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins.
Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+