PRAYER FOR HOLY WEEK: Holy and immortal God, from earliest times you have named us and called us into Discipleship: Teach us to follow the One whose light scatters the darkness of our world, that we may walk as children of light. Amen. (from Daily Prayer for All Seasons)
POT LUCK SUPPER & LENTEN PROGRAM — WEEK 5: APRIL 11, 6 P.M.: Please plan to join us for the last week of our Tuesday evening Lenten Program, Speaking Our Faith, by the Rev. Dr. Kit Carlson, Episcopal priest. We begin with a Pot Luck supper at 6 p.m. The program follows at 6:45 and we end with Compline by 8. Even if you missed the first four weeks, you are welcome to join us for Week 5. This week, we will talk about what we believe and how we put our faith into action.
EASTER FLOWER MEMORIALS: The Flower Guild asks that requests and donations for Easter memorials be made by Tuesday, April 11 for inclusion in the Easter leaflet. The suggested donation is $50. Checks should be made payable to Emmanuel Church with “Easter flowers” on the memo line. Please be sure to include the name or names of the persons you are remembering as you would like it to appear in the leaflet. Please call the Parish Office at 410-778-3477 if you have any questions.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS TO SERVE AS LECTORS, INTERCESSORS, USHERS, ACOLYTES, AND ON ALTAR GUILD: With summer vacation time approaching, we are looking for additional volunteers to serve as lectors, intercessors and ushers at Sunday morning services. If you are willing to serve please contact Laura in the Parish Office at 410-778-3477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or tell Vicar Darcy on Sunday. We are also looking for more acolytes! Any child who is at least 7 years of age is eligible to learn to be an acolyte. Adults are also welcome! The Altar Guild is also looking for new members, especially for help at the 10:30 a.m. service.
GOOD FRIDAY CROSS WALK: Trinity Lutheran Church is hosting an interfaith Progressive Prayer Service Cross Walk on Good Friday, April 14th, 2017 at 1 p.m. The walk will begin in Wilmer Park and progress to the Chestertown Cemetery. All are welcome.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: THANK YOU to the Roberson Family (Apr 2) and the Rice Family (Apr 9) for signing up to host Coffee Hour! We are still looking for hosts for the rest of April and into May, especially on Easter Sunday, April 16. If you can’t host at this time, please consider bringing baked goods, cookies, cheese and crackers, etc. and dropping them off for use on a Sunday or to be frozen for the future. Just put a note on your donation: “For Coffee Hour”
CAMP WRIGHT WORK DAY, APRIL 22, 9 A.M. – 6 P.M. (OR AS LONG AS YOU CAN STAY): Please join us for a Camp Wright Work Day on Saturday, April 22. Mark Pagano is the coordinator for Emmanuel volunteers and KT Pagano is coordinating the youth. If you are able to help, please call the Parish Office at 410-778-3477 or email@example.com, or contact Mark Pagano directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers should wear comfortable clothing, sturdy shoes, and bring work gloves, a bag lunch and refillable water bottles. Dinner will be provided for those who can stay (please let us know if you plan to stay for dinner). All volunteers must sign a waiver form available in the Parish Office.
MORE CAMP WRIGHT NEWS
- Vicar Darcy has a gift certificate for one free campership at Camp Wright this summer, a value of $635. Please contact Darcy+ ASAP if your child is interested in going to Camp Wright this summer or if you wish to nominate someone for this campership. If two children are interested, we will split the campership between them.
- Camp Wright Open House, May 13, 1-4 p.m.
- Bishop’s Bash, May 20, 5-9 p.m. The Bishop is hosting a party and you’re invited! Join him at Camp Wright onSaturday, May 20thfrom 5pm-9pm for a relaxing dinner and sunset conversations. This is a casual reunion of convention attendees and any other church members who would like to enjoy an evening with Bishop Marray. This event is geared for adults. RSVP Requested.
DIOCESAN ENEWS MAILING LIST: If you wish to receive to the weekly Diocesan ENEWS, please subscribe via the homepage www.dioceseofeaston.org.
CHOIRMASTER SEARCH COMMITTEE: If you know of someone you think would be interested in applying to become Emmanuel’s next Choirmaster, please have them contact the Search Committee at email@example.com or call Sandy at 301-675-3093.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. The 1% rebates go to the Food Pantry.
- APRIL FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- GIVE CHANGE TO MAKE CHANGE. Lenten collection to support the rebuilding of cabins at Camp Wright. To date we have collected over $1200 from the Pancake Supper and in the collection jars. Please help us reach $1500 by April 22 — Camp Wright Work Day.
Collect for April 9: Almighty and everliving God, in your tender love for the human race you sent your Son our Savior Jesus Christ to take upon him our nature, and to suffer death upon the cross, giving us the example of his great humility: Mercifully grant that we may walk in the way of his suffering, and also share in his resurrection; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Readings for April 9: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/HolyWk/APalmSun_RCL.html
Hymns for April 9: All glory, laud, and honor (154); O sacred head, sore wounded (168), Alone thou goest forth, O Lord (164)
Events next week:
Sunday, April 9: (Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II, with Sunday School (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Monday, April 10: (Monday of Holy Week)
- Knifty Knitters (2 p.m.) at Edith Grassi’s, 410-778-6493 (Please let the hostess know if you are unable to attend)
- EfM with Holy Eucharist (5 p.m.)
Tuesday, April 11: (Tuesday of Holy Week)
- GED (9 a.m.); ESL (6:30 p.m.)
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m.)
- Choir rehearsal (5 p.m.)
- Lenten Program and Pot Luck Supper (6 p.m.)
Wednesday, April 12: (Wednesday of Holy Week)
- GED (9 a.m.)
- Bible Study (10:30 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist with anointing for healing (12 noon)
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
Thursday, April 13: (Maundy Thursday)
- Homework Study Hall (canceled today)
- Foot-washing Liturgy (5 p.m.)
- Maundy Thursday Service of Holy Eucharist (6 p.m.)
- Vigil in Garth (7 p.m.)
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, April 14: (Good Friday)
- Good Friday Prayer Book Liturgy (12 noon & 6 p.m.)
- Interfaith Progressive Cross Walk (1 p.m.)
Saturday, April 15: no events scheduled
Sunday, April 16: (Easter Sunday):
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.), with Flowering of the Cross
- Coffee Hour & Easter Egg Hunt (11:30 a.m.)
- April 16: Easter Sunday: services at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. with flowering of the cross & an Easter Egg Hunt
- April 22: Camp Wright Work Day, 9 a.m. at Camp Wright. Waivers for volunteers available in Parish Office.
- April 23: Parish Breakfast at 9 a.m. Guest speaker Lisa Webb will talk about her recent trip to the Holy Land.
I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Andrew, Baylin, David, Debbie, Fatima, Frank, Gracie, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Edna Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Sandy Hoon, Bill House, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, John Messer, Jim Naumann, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Harry Schreiber, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins.
Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+