KEN COWAN ORGAN CONCERT, FRIDAY, MAY 5, 7:30 P.M.: Please join us as we welcome Ken Cowan back to Emmanuel for his twenty-second appearance in our annual Organ Concert Series! Ken is one of North America’s finest concert organists. Praised for his dazzling artistry, impeccable technique and imaginative programming by audiences and critics alike, he maintains a rigorous performing schedule which takes him to major concert venues and churches in America, Canada, Europe, and Asia. Tickets for the May concert will be available at the door: $20 for adults and $5 for students with ID. There is no admission charge for the school-age children of Emmanuel parishioners. A reception in the Parish Hall will follow the performance.
PUB THEOLOGY RETURNS, WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 6 P.M. AT JR’s: Please join us for appetizers and lively conversation on Wednesday, May 10 at 6 P.M. at JR’s.
THE ORDER OF THE DAUGHTERS OF THE KING AFTERNOON TEA, MAY 10, in OXFORD: Bishop Santosh Marray, Nalini Marray, and the Holy Comforter Chapter of Daughters of the King invite all women who are interested in learning more about DOK to join them for an afternoon tea, May 10, 2017, at 3 p.m. at Church of the Holy Trinity, Oxford. Please RSVP by May 3 to Midge at 410-714-4125.
- Roger W. Simpkins, Sr., January 16, 1926 – April 24, 2017. Memorial service at Emmanuel, 3 p.m., Saturday May 13, 2017. http://www.fhnfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Roger-Simpkins/#!/Obituary
- Edward “Ted” Bracken Huffman, July 11, 1928 – April 30, 2017. Memorial service at Emmanuel, 11 a.m., Monday, May 15, 2017. http://www.fhnfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Edward-Ted-Huffman/#!/Obituary
PREPARATION FOR CONFIRMATION OR RECEPTION INTO THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH: Do you want o reaffirm your faith by being confirmed or received into the Episcopal Church through the laying on of hands when Bishop Marray visits Emmanuel on June 4, 2017? If so, please plan to attend the prep sessions: EPISCOPAL QUESTIONS/EPISCOPAL ANSWERS with Darcy+. The next session will be on Wednesday, May 17 at 5:30 p.m. in the Rector’s office. This will be the second of 4 evening sessions to be held before the bishop’s visitation, June 4. Did not attend the first session, but still interested in reaffirmation, reception or confirmation? Contact Darcy+ at 410-778-3477 or at email@example.com.
THANK YOU TO . . . JoAnn Fairchild Wood for all her work in creating the Emmanuel Church, Chester Parish display for “The Way We Worked, a Museum on Main Street”. Many thanks also to Ron Abler, Art Leiby, Michael Bourne, and Darlene Housley for their advice, support, and sharing their knowledge of parish history.
WASHINGTON COLLEGE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MENTORING PROGRAM: Interested in mentoring an international student at Washington College? If so, please contact Jenny Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Penny Block (email@example.com) for more information. Or attend the general information session Wednesday , May 24, 6:30 pm in Hynson Lounge (second floor of Hodson Hall).
GIFT CERTIFICATES FOR CAMP WRIGHT: Vicar Darcy still has 3 gift certificates for camperships at Camp Wright this summer, a value of $635 each. Please contact Darcy+ ASAP if your child is interested in going to Camp Wright this summer or if you wish to nominate someone for these camperships. Camp Wright offers traditional camp programs for children ages 7-14, as well as STEM Camp (Grades 6-8) and High Adventure camp experiences (through High school)for older students. For more info about Camp Wright, go to http://www.campwright.com/images/RC_Brochure_2017.pdf
BISHOP’S BASH AT CAMP WRIGHT, MAY 20, 5 – 9 P.M.: Bishop San invites all adults in the diocese to join him for a “Bishop’s Bash” on Saturday evening, May 20 at Camp Wright. Social Time: 5 pm; Picnic Dinner: 6pm; Sunset Compline: 7pm; Bonfire: 7:30 pm; Depart 9pm. RSVP http://dioceseofeaston.org/bishopsbash/
RETREAT HOUSE NEWS: UPCOMING PROGRAMS
- Meditation Class, Mondays beginning May 8, 5:45-6:15 p.m., open to all. No fee.
- Film & Discussion Series, beginning Tuesday May 9, 6 – 8 p.m. For more information, go to http://retreathousehillsboro.org/event/1188/2017-05-09/.
- The Spirituality of Trees, Tuesday, May 16, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. For more information, go to http://retreathousehillsboro.org/event/the-spirituality-of-trees/.
SOUTH KENT CLUSTER FAMILY PICNIC WITH BISHOP MARRAY, JUNE 4, 2:30 P.M.: Please mark your calendars for June 4, 2017. Bishop Santosh Marray will be at Emmanuel for his first annual visitation and a service of Confirmation. At 2:30 p.m. that same afternoon, we are all invited to join with our friends from the South Kent Cluster at St. Paul’s Kent for a family picnic. More details to follow soon.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: THANK YOU to the Jacksons for hosting Coffee Hour the past two Sunday’s after the 10:30! Thank you to Tony and Ellie Leigh for signing up for May 7 and the Roberson’s for signing up for May 28! We are still looking for hosts for May 14, and 21.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. The 1% rebates go to the Food Pantry. We recently sent a check for $126 to the Food Pantry.
- MAY FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
Collect for May 7: O God, whose Son Jesus is the good shepherd of your people: Grant that when we hear his voice we may know him who calls us each by name, and follow where he leads; who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Readings for May 7: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Easter/AEaster4_RCL.htm
Hymns for May 7: The King of love my shepherd is (645); Shepherd of our souls refresh and bless (343); The Lord my God my shepherd is (663), Jesus, our mighty Lord, our strength in sadness (478)
Events next week:
Sunday, May 7: (Easter IV):
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.), “The Children Shall Lead”
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Monday, May 8:
- Knifty Knitters (2 p.m.) at Mimi Shape’s, 410-778-0231 (Please let the hostess know if you are unable to attend)
- EfM with Evening prayer (5 p.m.)
Tuesday, May 9:
- GED (9 a.m.)
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m.)
- Choir rehearsal (5 p.m.)
Wednesday, May 10:
- GED (9 a.m.)
- Bible Study (10:30 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist with anointing for healing (12 noon)
- Pastoral Care Meeting (4:30 p.m.)
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
- Pub Theology at JR’s (6 p.m.)
Thursday, May 11:
- Garden Club May Mart set-up (all day)
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m., 2nd floor)
- AA (at a different location tonight)
Friday, May 12: Garden Club May Mart
Saturday, May 13: Memorial Service for Roger W. Simpkins, Sr. (3p.m.)
Sunday, May 14: (Easter V, Mother’s Day)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.), with Sunday School
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- May 15: Ted Huffman Memorial Service, 11 a.m.
- May 15-17: Diocese of Easton Clergy Retreat at Claggett
- May 21: Vestry Meeting, 12 noon
- May 25: Ascension Evensong, 6 p.m.
I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Andrew, Baylin, Corey, David, Debbie, Fatima, Frank, Gracie, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Peggy, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Edna Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Edith Foley, Herb Friedman, Sandy Hoon, Bill House, Chris Hunsicker, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, John Messer, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Harry Schreiber, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins.
Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+