UPCOMING EVENTS AT EMMANUEL
- May 25: Ascension Evensong and Dinner, 6 p.m.
- May 28: The Rev. Rachel Field will discuss the results of her study into College Ministry at 12 noon
- May 29: Memorial Day — Office Closed
- June 1: Episcopal Worship service at Heron Point, 2 p.m. in the Quiet Room
- June 4: Pentecost Sunday, Confirmation Sunday, Bishop Marray’s Annual Visitation to Emmanuel
- Open Forum at 9 a.m. with the Bishop in the Parish Hall
- South Kent Cluster Family Picnic at St. Paul’s Kent, 2:30 p.m.
- June 4 – 17: National Music Festival in Chestertown; Student and Mentor lunches at Emmanuel
UNITED THANK OFFERING SPRING INGATHERING, MAY 28: Emmanuel will be conducting week 2 of our spring Ingathering on Sunday, May 28, 2017. Envelopes will be available in the pews, and may be mailed to Emmanuel , P.O.Box 875, Chestertown, MD 21620, or they may be placed in the offering plate on Sunday. Thank you for your past generosity and present consideration. ~~~ Barbara Belden UTO chair
A TRIBUTE TO GARRY CLARKE AT WASHINGTON COLLEGE, JUNE 3, 7:30 P.M.: The Dramalumni and WACappella will present a collection of songs and stories at Washington College Alumni Weekend as a tribute to Professor Garry E. Clarke who died last year. Many at Emmanuel will also remember Garry as our Choirmaster and Director of Music for many years. The event is open to the public and scheduled to be held in Gibson Center on June 3 at 7:30 p.m.
CARE FOR CREATION AT EMMANUEL: A new committee, co-chaired by Libby Rice and Lisa Webb, is developing programs to help us Care of God’s Creation in tangible ways:
- Farm Table at Emmanuel: Coming soon to the Parish Hall! Are you longing for some fresh summer vegetables? Can’t make it to the Farmer’s Market? No worries! The Farm Table at Emmanuel will feature a share of produce from Colchester Farm in Galena everySunday starting sometime in June! All Emmanuel farmers are welcome to add their bounty of veggies, herbs and flowers. There is no charge, but goodwill offerings will repay the Vestry for funding this project and will also go toward feeding our hungry neighbors. Stay tuned to this space for more details to come!
- Terracycle: Prevent your empty plastic cereal bags and the plastic bag liners from cereal and cracker boxes from becoming trash – bring them to the drop off basket in the Parish Hall eachSunday. They will then get sent to Terracycle, a company that will reuse, recycle, or upcycle various materials that are usually not recyclable. Get more information at terracycle.com
SOUTH KENT CLUSTER PICNIC AT ST. PAUL’S, JUNE 4, 2:30 P.M.: Bishop Santosh Marray will join all of the South Kent Mission Cluster parishes for a picnic at St. Paul’s, Kent from 2:30-5:00 pm. We will have games for the kids (and the young at heart) and lots of good food. St. Paul’s will provide burgers and hot dogs, as well as an ice cream sundae bar for dessert. Guests are asked to bring a covered side dish. St. Paul’s needs RSVP’s so they can plan their share of the food, and to best organize the games we’d like to know the ages of the children planning to attend. Please RSVP today to Lynn McLain at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call at 410-778-4515 or text at 410-967-8240 with: (1) the number of people attending from your group, (2) how many adults, (3) the number and ages of children, and (4) whether any of you would be willing to help with the games that Sunday (if so, please provide your cell phone number).
NATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL STUDENT LUNCH PROGRAM, JUNE 5-9, 12-16: The National Music Festival will soon be back in Chestertown for Season VII, and once again Emmanuel will provide lunch for the Washington College student workers, the NMF mentors and the NMF music students, Monday – Friday each of the two weeks of the Festival. Emmanuel parishioners can help by making financial contributions to offset the costs of the food, and/or by supplying home-made single portion desserts for our guests. Items like home-made cookies, cupcakes and brownies are best. If you can help, please contact Nancy Dick 410-778-0811 or email@example.com. Checks should be made payable to Emmanuel Church with “NMF student lunches” on the memo line.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL, JUNE 19 – 22, 5:15 – 8 P.M. “Hero Central, Discover Your Strength in God”
- Registration is open for VBS at the Presbyterian Church of Chestertown. Co-sponsored by Christ UMC, Emmanuel Episcopal, Sacred Heart RC, and PCC, this program is OPEN to all children Pre-K through entering Grade 6. To register your child, go to: http://2017.cokesburyvbs.com/PCCtownVBS.
- VOLUNTEERS, both teen and adult, are needed to help with the various activities. If you are able to help even one night contact Wendy Barnette, VBS 2017 Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DONATIONS for CRAFTS: Beth Lavery, email@example.com, needs donations of light colored or white felt, card stock or heavy paper for making cards, stickers, markers, crayons, colored pencils, yarn, elastic cord and beads for making bracelets, invitation envelopes (size A9), and plain paper for drawing.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: Thank you to the Roberson Family for signing up for May 28! We are still looking for hosts for June 18, 25, and the rest of the summer.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. The 1% rebates go to the Food Pantry.
- MAY FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
Collect for May 28: O God, the King of glory, you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven: Do not leave us comfortless, but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us, and exalt us to that place where our Savior Christ has gone before; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.
Readings for May 28 http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Easter/AEaster7_RCL.html
Hymns for May 28: Hail thou once despised Jesus! (495); When Christ was lifted from the earth (603); All hail the power of Jesus’ name (451, omit verses with *); Crown him with many crowns (494)
Events next week:
Sunday, May 28: (Easter VII):
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.) with Sunday School
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- The Rev. Rachel Field on “College Ministry” (12 noon)
Monday, May 29: MEMORIAL DAY, OFFICE CLOSED (Knitters will not meet today)
Tuesday, May 30:
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m.)
- Choir rehearsal (5 p.m.)
Wednesday, May 31:
- Bible Study (10:30 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist with Anointing for Healing (12 noon)
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
Thursday, June 1:
- Episcopal Worship Service at Heron Point (2 p.m.)
- Homework Study Hall (2:30 p.m.)
- EfM (5 p.m.)
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, June 2: No events scheduled
Saturday, June 3: No events scheduled
Sunday, June 4: (Pentecost): wear red, or orange or yellow
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I with Bishop Marray (8 a.m.)
- Open Forum discussion and coffee with Bishop Marray (9 a.m.)
- Confirmation and Holy Eucharist, Rite II with Bishop Marray (10:30 a.m.),
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- South Kent Cluster Family Picnic at St. Paul’s, Kent (2:30 p.m.)
Prayer Requests: I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Baylin, Corey, David, Debbie, Frank, Gracie, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Peggy, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Edna Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Jane Chapman, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Marguerite Davis, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Edith Foley, Herb Friedman, Bill House, Chris Hunsicker, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Harry Schreiber, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins.
Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+