UPCOMING EVENTS AT EMMANUEL
- July 29: Memorial Service for Paul Jewell, 2 p.m.
- July 31- Aug 8: Vicar Darcy on vacation; The Rev. Walter Burgess, guest celebrant and preacher, Aug 6
- Aug. 9: Pub Theology at JR’s, 6 p.m.
- Aug. 10: Heron Point Eucharist, 2 p.m. — NOTE CHANGE OF DATE
- Aug. 14: Deadline for articles for the Messenger
- Aug. 19: Jumble Sale
LETTER FROM BISHOP SAN: Please go to http://dioceseofeaston.org/letter-from-bishop-san/ to read Bishop San’s letter to the Diocese of Easton. He received a good report from his cardiac surgeon this week, and continues to heal from his surgery in July. He has begun rehab therapy and anticipates returning to the office in early September. Cards and notes may be sent to him at Diocese of Easton, 314 North Street, Easton, MD 21601.
NO NOON EUCHARIST NEXT WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 2.
TIME TO START THINKING ABOUT SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Once again, Emmanuel will collect school supplies to donate to Garnet Elementary School for children whose families cannot afford to purchase all of what their child needs. Please bring the items you purchase to church by August 20 and place them in the large plastic tub in the Narthex. This year we are focusing on the following items:
- Marble Composition Books; Crayola Crayons (24 count packs); glue sticks;
- 2-pocket folders; Crayola markers (8-10 count pack); safety scissors
- spiral notebooks (wide rule, 100 page); dry erase markers; #2 yellow pencils
- headphones (NOT earbuds); box of tissues; backpack
- (Copies of the complete 2017-18 School Supply list from HHGES are available in the Parish Hall.)
SOUTH KENT CLUSTER LUNCH FOR THE HORIZONS PROGRAM: ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL DAY: Many thanks to Cluster Representatives, Lynn McLain from Emmanuel and Becky Taylor from St. Paul’s Kent, coordinating and preparing lunch to 215 students and staff at the Horizons program on July 21. Thanks also to Emmanuel volunteers, Barbara Belden, Sandy Ryon, Mimi Sharpe, and Sue Reep for their help in preparing and serving lunch that day, AND to all who made contributions to defray the costs.
WASHINGTON COLLEGE MENTORING PROGRAM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Washington College’s Global Education Office is holding a second information session for those interested in volunteering for the Mentoring Program for international students. The session will be held Monday, July 31 at 6:30 pm in the Faculty Lounge (first floor of Hodson Hall).
SAFEGUARDING GOD’S CHILDREN: The Diocese of Easton has updated its POLICY MANUAL and guidelines for the “Protection of Children and Youth from Abuse”. The new guidelines go into effect on September 1, 2017 and require that all clergy, paid staff, Vestry members, and anyone who works with children or youth as part of a parish’s ministry MUST complete the in-person “Safeguarding God’s Children” training once every 4 years AND have a current certificate on file with the parish. Upcoming trainings will be held on August 12, at St. Mary Anne’s, North East; St. Peter’s, Salisbury, August 19; and Christ Church, Easton, August 26. All of these trainings are free and will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 noon on the designated Saturday. Please plan to attend one of these trainings and register by clicking on the link found at: http://dioceseofeaston.org/safeguarding/. There will be a training at Emmanuel on September 9, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Please contact Laura in the Parish Office to register.
ACTS OF THE APOSTLES– COMING THIS FALL: At the 2017 Diocesan Convention, Bishop Marray invited everyone in the Diocese of Easton (read or listen to the Bishop’s address at http://dioceseofeaston.org/convention2017/) to enter into a study of the Acts of the Apostles before the First Sunday of Advent 2017. The Bishop and the Commission on Ministry recently sent a request to every parish to begin this important work soon. They have recommended a course of study that can be adjusted to individual parish needs. Watch for more information as Emmanuel develops plans and opportunities for our parishioners to study the Acts of the Apostles this fall.
THE FARM TABLE AT EMMANUEL – WEEK 9!: This Sunday will be the ninth installment of Emmanuel’s share of Colchester Farms CSA (consumer supported agriculture). Help yourself to farm fresh produce; leave a free-will offering in exchange. Bring some of the excess bounty from your garden to share. Proceeds will be given to the Community Food Pantry.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: Many thanks Lynn McLain and Sue Reep for hosting Coffee hour last week, and to Edward Maxcy for making the coffee. We are still looking for hosts for the rest of the summer, especially on August 6 when Fr. Walt will be here!. Please sign up on the board near the kitchen, by the Farm Table.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. We recently submitted$24,241.26 in qualified register tapes, which will result in $242.41 to the Food Pantry. So far, Emmanuel has deposited $46,627.80 to Redner’s, which has resulted in $466.28 going to the Community Food Pantry instead of into the wastebasket. PLEASE be sure to scan your Redner’s card with your purchases so that the register tapes qualify for the rebate.
- AUGUST FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- TERRACYCLE. Prevent your empty plastic cereal bags and the plastic bag liners from cereal and cracker boxes from becoming trash – bring them to the drop off box in the Parish Hall each Sunday.
- Collect for July 30: O God, the protector of all who trust in you, without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy: Increase and multiply upon us your mercy; that, with you as our ruler and guide, we may so pass through things temporal, that we lose not the things eternal; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
- Readings for July 30: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Pentecost/AProp12_RCL.html (Track 1)
- Hymns for July 30: Spread, O spread, thou mighty word (530); The Lord will come & not be slow (462); God moves in a mysterious way (677); Thy kingdom come! (615)
Events next week:
Sunday, July 30: (Eighth Sunday After Pentecost)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Monday, July 31:
- Knifty Knitters, on break until mid-August
Tuesday, August 1: no events scheduled
Wednesday, August 2:
- Bible Study , on break until September
- NO NOON EUCHARIST this week
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
Thursday, August 3:
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, August 4: no events scheduled
Saturday, August 5: no events scheduled
Sunday, August 6: (Feast of the Transfiguration)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II(10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Prayer Requests: I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Baylin, Corey, David, Debbie, Frank, Gracie, Hazen, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Susan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Bill House, Chris Hunsicker, Norman King, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, Santosh Marray, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Cheryl Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins, Marie Wrotten. Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+