PRAYER FOR THE WEEK: O God, our times are in your hand. In the midst of uncertainty lead us by your never-failing grace as we seek to be agents of healing and hope. Walk with us through difficult times; watch over us in danger; and give to us a spirit of love and compassion for those who suffer and mourn. And finally remind us that you have promised never to leave us so that even in the valley of the shadow of death your love may be felt, through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN. – The Rev. Lyndon Harris, from the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
UPCOMING EVENTS AT EMMANUEL (see calendar below for the week of Sept 17-23)
- Sept 24: Parish Breakfast at 9 a.m.. Lisa Webb and Libby Rice will introduce Creation Season
- Sept 29-30: Yom Kippur, Chestertown Havurah
- Sept 30: Planned Giving Workshop, Milford, DE
- Oct 1: Blessing of the Animals, 10:30 a.m. during service of Holy Eucharist in the Parish Hall;
- Welcome Stephanie King, Choir Director and Director of Music
- Nov 17 & 18: Emmanuel Christmas Bazaar: watch for more info next week about how you can help!
MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR JEANNE MAY, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2 P.M. : A memorial service in celebration of and thanksgiving for the life of Jeanne May (June 14, 1921 – September 9, 2017) will be held at Emmanuel on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. with a reception following in the Parish Hall.
THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES: At Emmanuel we will engage this study in two ways:
- We will gather on the third Tuesday of September (Sept. 19), and October (Oct. 17), and the second Tuesday of November (Nov. 14) to view a one-hour segment each night of the three-hour 1995 film “Acts of the Apostles.” We will begin with pizza and end with a discussion of the readings and the part of the film viewed that evening. Please RSVP for Tuesday so that we order enough pizza
- Next week, we will take some time at the beginning of the Wednesday morning Bible Study (from 10:30-10:55 a.m.) to study the verses for the week (Acts 3:1-12). Then at 11 a.m. we will continue with our regular Bible Study curriculum.
A VIDEO MESSAGE FROM BISHOP SAN: Go to http://dioceseofeaston.org/bishops-blog-video-sept-8-2017/ to view a video message from Bishop San.
CHRIST CHURCH, I.U. WORTON: 69th OLD FRIENDS’ DAY, SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 17: All are invited to Old Friends’ Day at Christ Church, I.U. Worton on September 17 at 11 a.m. for a “happy day of reunion and refreshment.” Please bring a covered dish to share at the luncheon that will follow the service of Holy Eucharist.
CREATION SEASON AT EMMANUEL: KICK-OFF BREAKFAST SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 9 A.M.: Please plan to join us for a Parish Breakfast and program presented by Lisa Webb and Libby Rice on the new Caring for Creation Society and ways Emmanuel will celebrate Creation Season this fall. Breakfast will be served at 9 a.m. with the program following at about 9:20.
WORKSHOP ON PLANNED GIVING: For Parish Leaders in the Dioceses of Delaware and Easton, Saturday – September 30, 2017 – 10am – 3pm at Christ Church of Milford, DE. Workshops will review best practices and empower leadership to take the best, next steps for their parish! To register please contact Judith Gregory at firstname.lastname@example.org or (302) 256-0374 by Monday, September 25th.
MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THE SPECIAL COLLECTION for Hurricane Relief. A check in the amount of $500 was sent to Bishop Marray to send to Episcopal bishops in the affected areas. A check in the amount of $2,206.00 was sent to Episcopal Relief and Development for Hurricane Harvey Relief! To date, and additional $665 has been donated.
TAKING A WALK WITH YOUR SOUL: A SACRED LABRYNITH JOURNEY, SEPTEMBER 25: A special Labyrinth program will be offered at the Retreat House at Hillsboro on September 25 from 9 a.m. to noon. To register go to https://rhlabyrinth.eventbrite.com . More information is available on the flyers in the Parish Hall.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: Thank you to Ann Hedgepeth and Penni Doyle for hosting Coffee Hour last week and to the Roberson Family for volunteering to host on September 17. Andy and Craig Jackson have asked for additional help for Coffee Hour and have reminded us that as a rule coffee hour does not need to be an elaborate or a costly affair! Some simple munchies, along with coffee and tea, and something for the kids to drink is all we need. Mostly we need help cleaning-up — especially washing the mugs and dishes!
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. PLEASE be sure to scan your Redner’s card with your purchases so that the register tapes qualify for the rebate.
- SEPTEMBER FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex. We are seeking a volunteer to take-over the transportation of donated food to the Community Food Pantry. If interested please contact the Parish Office.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- TERRACYCLE. Prevent your empty plastic cereal bags and the plastic bag liners from cereal and cracker boxes from becoming trash – bring them to the drop off box in the Parish Hall each Sunday.
Collect for Sept. 17: O God, because without you we are not able to please you, mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit may in all things direct and rule our hearts; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Readings for Sept. 17: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Pentecost/AProp19_RCL.html (Track 1)
Hymns for Sept. 17: Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (390); Come down, O Love divine (516); Praise my soul, the King of heaven (410); Come with us, O blessed Jesus (336)
Events next week:
Sunday, Sept 17: (Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II with Sunday School (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- VESTRY Meeting (12 noon)
Monday, Sept 18:
- Knifty Knitters (2 p.m.) at Pat Moser’s
Tuesday, Sept 19:
- Choir Practice (on break)
- ACTS OF THE APOSTLES – Part I (6 p.m.)
Wednesday, Sept 20:
- Brotherhood of St. Andrew (7:30 a.m.)
- Bible Study: Acts 3: 1- (10:30 a.m.); Lectionary, (11 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II with anointing for healing (12 noon)
- Chestertown Havurah Rosh Hashanah (beginning at 3 p.m.)
Thursday, Sept 21:
- Chestertown Havurah Rosh Hashanah (until 9 p.m.)
Friday, Sept. 22: no events scheduled
Saturday, Sept. 23: no events scheduled
Sunday, Sept. 24: (Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost, Proper 20)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Parish Breakfast and Caring for Creation program (9 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II(10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Prayer Requests: I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Baylin, Corey, David, Donna, Frank, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Louise, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Carol Bain, Cecily Buckley, Connor Campbell, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Bill House, Chris Hunsicker, Art Kendall, Norman King, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, Dottie Naumann, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Bette Smith, Cheryl Smith, Mark Smith, Brittany Walbert, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins.
Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+