PRAYER FOR THE WEEK: WEEK 2 OF CREATION SEASON: GOOD and generous Lord, You have once more brought the year full circle, through planting and growing and ripening to harvest time, and autumn. We thank You for the sun and the wind, the rain and the dew, the minerals of the earth and all the plants that grow and all the beasts and birds of farm and field. We marvel at Your wonderful ways of bringing food from the earth for man’s good. Dear God, help us to use Your rich gifts as You want us to. Teach us to share them with our neighbor when he is in need. Make us see, in the marvelous succession of seasons, and in the growth and ripening of our crops, the merciful, generous hand of Your divine providence. Help us to realize, too, that if we keep Your commandments and live according to the inspirations of Your grace, we shall also reap a plentiful harvest in the autumn of our lifetime: a harvest that we will be able to enjoy for ever and ever, where no rust can destroy, nor blight spoil any least part of it. Amen. (http://www.greenfaith.org/files/prayers-christian.pdf)
UPCOMING EVENTS AT EMMANUEL (see calendar below for the week of Oct 15-Oct 22)
- Oct 21: Kappa Sigma hosts: Pancake Breakfast (8 a.m.)
- Oct 28: Downrigging Weekend Oyster Roast (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Nov 17 & 18: Emmanuel Christmas Bazaar
CLIVE HARRIES ORGAN CONCERT, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2017, 7:30 P.M.: Our Twenty-fifth Concert Season opens Friday, October 13, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. with an organ concert performance by Clive Harries. His program will be a musical tour of Europe, including Franck’s Chorale No.3 in A minor, arrangements of music by Elgar, and works by Sweelinck, Bach, Buxtehude, Stanford and Herbert Howells. Individual tickets may be purchased at the door for $20 each, or $85 for a 2017-18 season subscription. There will be a reception in the Parish Hall following the concert.
MEMORIAL SERVICE: BETTE LARRIMORE SMITH, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1:30 PM: A Memorial Service in Celebration of and Thanksgiving for the Life of Bette Larrimore Smith will be held at Emmanuel this Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m., with a reception following in the Parish Hall. To read Bette’s obituary, go to http://www.fhnfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Bette-Smith-3/#!/Obituary.
ACTS OF THE APOSTLES, PART 2, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 6 PM: Please join Vicar Darcy for Part 2 of the 1995 film “Acts of the Apostles” on Tuesday evening, October 17 at 6 p.m. in the Parish Hall. We will begin with pizza and beverages, followed by Part 2 of the film and then a discussion of how the Acts of the Apostles informs the way we share our mission and ministry in the community as a parish and as a part of the Diocese of Easton. What are the core values of our faith tradition that are exemplified in this book of the Bible? Please call the office at 410-778-3477 to let us know if you are coming so that we can be sure to have enough pizza for all.
BOCCE, ANYONE?: This Tuesday, October 17, Emmanuel’s two teams will face off against each other at 5:30 p.m. in Wilmer Park. All are invited to come and cheer both teams on.
CHRISTMAS BAZAAR “WAYS WE CAN HELP” HIGHLIGHTS: Paper copies of the complete list are available in the Parish Hall. Each week from now until early November, look at this spot in your email news, for two or three of the Tables to be highlighted:
- BAZAAR LUNCHEON: Lunch at Emmanuel’s Christmas Bazaar is a highlight of this annual event, as parishioners, neighbors, and visitors enjoy delicious food and fellowship when they take a break from shopping. Parishioners Donna Gibbons-Neff, Judie Willock and Barbara Belden devote many hours and abundant culinary skill to prepare this popular meal. Traditionally, fellow parishioners have supported their efforts by donating funds to cover the cost of purchasing supplies for the luncheon. We invite you to make a modest contribution by writing a check payable to Emmanuel Church with the words “Bazaar Luncheon” on the memo line. You may drop the check in the collection plate on any Sunday between now and November 12, or mail it to Emmanuel Church, P.O. Box 875, Chestertown, MD 21620.
- JEWELRY TABLE: The Jewelry Table is now accepting donations for the jewelry table for the upcoming Christmas Bazaar. We accept fine and costume jewelry, handbags in good condition, and scarves. We also accept broken jewelry. Please drop your donations off by November 1, at Emmanuel near the elevator in the box clearly marked “Jewelry Table Donations”. Thank you in advance. ~~ Ruby Doyle (chair, 410-708-5299), Penni Doyle, and Elizabeth Hollomon.
- KNITTING TABLE: The Knifty Knitters have been busy crafting many hand-made items for our annual Christmas Bazaar. Please contact Edith Grassi at 410-778-6493 or Suzanne Fischer at 410-778-5593 or email@example.com to learn how you can help.
KAPPA SIGMA FRATERNITY HOSTS PANCAKE BREAKFAST, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21: Washington College’s Kappa Sigma fraternity will host a Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, October 21 from 8 a.m. until 12 noon. The proceeds from this event will go to support the Military Heroes Campaign and UVA Prostate Cancer Research. Cost $5.
TALL SHIPS/ OYSTER ROAST, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28, 10 AM – 1 PM: Members of Emmanuel Church and their extended families are invited to an Oyster Roast on Saturday, October 28, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. View the Tall Ships sailing the Chester River. Bring your camera and an appetite. RSVP by October 24 to 410-778-3477. Cost $35 per person, children under 13 are free. Make checks payable to Emmanuel Church, note: “Bazaar” on the memo line. Proceeds to benefit the 2017 Christmas Bazaar. The event will be canceled if it rains!
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: Thank you to the Choir for hosting Coffee Hour last week. NO ONE has signed up for Coffee Hour for this Sunday, nor any of the following Sundays. If you wish to continue having Coffee Hour following the 10:30 a.m. service, PLEASE SIGN UP TO HOST.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. PLEASE be sure to scan your Redner’s card with your purchases so that the register tapes qualify for the rebate.
- OCTOBER FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex. If interested please contact the Parish Office.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- TERRACYCLE.Prevent your empty plastic cereal bags and the plastic bag liners from cereal and cracker boxes from becoming trash – bring them to the drop off box in the Parish Hall each Sunday.
- Episcopal Relief and Development. The need for help following the recent devastating hurricanes, fires, and earthquakes remains. Donations to the “Hurricane Relief Fund” and to the “International Disaster Response Fund” may be made online at http://www.episcopalrelief.org/what-you-can-do/give/donate-now/individual-donation or by mail to Episcopal Relief and Development, P.O Box 7058, Merrifield, VA 22116
Collect for Oct 15: Lord, we pray that your grace may always precede and follow us, that we may continually be given to good works; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Readings for Oct 15: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Pentecost/AProp23_RCL.html ( Track 1)
Hymns for Oct 15: I sing the almighty power of God (398); Christ whose glory fills the skies (7); The King of love my shepherd is (645); My God, thy table now is set (321)
Events next week:
Sunday, Oct 15: (Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost), 2nd Sunday of Creation Season: Earth
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II with Sunday School (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Monday, Oct 16: NO Knifty Knitters today
Tuesday, Oct 17:
- Homework Depot Study Hall (3 – 5 p.m.)
- Choir Practice (5 p.m.)
- Acts of the Apostles, Part 2 (6 p.m.)
Wednesday, Oct 18:
- Brotherhood of St. Andrew (7:30 a.m.)
- Bible Study: Acts 9: 20-22 (10:30 a.m.); Lectionary, (11 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II with anointing for healing (12 noon)
- Yoga (5p.m.)
Thursday, Oct 19:
- Homework Depot Study Hall (3 – 5 p.m.)
- ESL Registration (6 p.m.)
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, Oct 20: No events scheduled
Saturday, Oct 21:
- Kappa Sigma Pancake Breakfast (8 a.m.)
Sunday, Oct 22: (Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost, Proper 24)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I in the church (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II and Sunday School (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Prayer Requests: I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Amanda, Baylin, Bill, Corey, David, Donna, Frank, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Louise, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Tyler, Margie Abler, Carol Bain, Cecily Buckley, Connor Campbell, Kim Christopher, John DeJong, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Bill House, Chris Hunsicker, Art Kendall, Norman King, Annie Lavin, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Cheryl Smith, Mark Smith, Joshua Snyder, Brittany Walbert, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins. Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+