UPCOMING EVENTS AT EMMANUEL
- July 14: Finance Committee meeting, 4 p.m.
- July 16: Baptism of Maxwell Abbott Guidera, at 10:30 a.m. service of Holy Eucharist
- Vestry Meeting, 12 noon
- July 19: Brotherhood of St. Andrew, 7:30 a.m.
- NO BIBLE STUDY; NO NOON EUCHARIST TODAY
- July 21: Horizons Lunch
BAPTISM OF MAXWELL ABBOTT GUIDERA, SUNDAY, JULY 16, 10:30 A.M.: Please join us this Sunday, July 16, at the 10:30 a.m. service of Holy Eucharist for the baptism of Maxwell Abbott Guidera, son of Dave and Sara Guidera, and great-nephew of Helen and Ken Noble.
WEDNESDAY MORNING BIBLE STUDY: ON BREAK UNTIL SEPTEMBER: With summer vacation and travel schedules in full swing, the Wednesday morning Bible Study Group has decided to take a break until September. Copies of the Bible Study handouts for August will be mailed to all regular participants next week. If anyone else would like a copy of the Bible Study handouts for July or August, please call or email Vicar Darcy, or leave a message with Laura in the Parish Office at 410-778-3477.
SAFEGUARDING GOD’S CHILDREN: The Diocese of Easton has updated its POLICY MANUAL and guidelines for the “Protection of Children and Youth from Abuse”. The new guidelines (go to http://dioceseofeaston.org/safeguarding/) go into effect on September 1, 2017 and require that all clergy, paid staff, Vestry members, and anyone who works with children or youth as part of a parish’s ministry MUST complete the in-person “Safeguarding God’s Children” training once every 4 years AND have a current certificate on file with the parish. Upcoming trainings will be held on August 12, at St. Mary Anne’s, North East; St. Peter’s, Salisbury, August 19; and Christ Church, Easton, August 26. All of these trainings are free and will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 noon on the designated Saturday. Please plan to attend one of these trainings. It is hoped that we will also be able to offer a training session at Emmanuel on a Saturday morning in September.
SOUTH KENT CLUSTER WILL PROVIDE LUNCH FOR THE HORIZONS PROGRAM ON JULY 21: Cluster representatives, Lynn McLain from Emmanuel and Becky Taylor from St. Paul’s Kent, will again prepare and serve lunch to the students, teachers and volunteer counselors for the Horizons program on July 21. Please consider making a financial donation to defray the cost of the food. Any excess money collected will be donated to support Horizons of Kent and Queen Anne’s. Please make your checks payable to Emmanuel Episcopal Church and note “Horizons lunch” on the memo line.
THE FARM TABLE AT EMMANUEL – WEEK 7! This Sunday will be the seventh installment of Emmanuel’s share of Colchester Farms CSA (consumer supported agriculture). Help yourself to farm fresh produce; leave a free-will offering in exchange. Proceeds will be given to the Community Food Pantry.
THE RECTOR’S CHAIR IS BACK: Many thanks to Elizabeth Hollomon, Mary Booth Davis, and Terry Barnes for all the beautiful handwork they did to create the new needlepoint covers for the Rector’s Chair. Thank you to Elizabeth and Brad Hollomon for getting the new covers installed and for bringing the chair back to the church! It looks lovely.
COFFEE HOUR HOSTS NEEDED: Many thanks to Ellie and Tony Leigh for hosting Coffee hour last week. Thanks to the Noble’s for signing up for July 16. We are still looking for hosts for the rest of the summer. Please sign up on the board near the kitchen, by the Farm Table.
- REDNER’S SAVE-A-TAPE PROGRAM. The 1% rebates go to the Food Pantry.
- JULY FOOD PANTRY DONATION REQUEST. Hunger does not disappear with warmer weather. Please place your nonperishable food donations in the blue container in the Narthex.
- CELL PHONES FOR SOLDIERS. Recycle your cell phones through the church to provide cell phones and pre-paid phone cards for our military personnel. A collection box is in the Narthex.
- TERRACYCLE. Prevent your empty plastic cereal bags and the plastic bag liners from cereal and cracker boxes from becoming trash – bring them to the drop off box in the Parish Hall each Sunday.
- Collect for July 16: O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of your people who call upon you, and grant that they may know and understand what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to accomplish them; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
- Readings for July 16: http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearA_RCL/Pentecost/AProp10_RCL.html (Track 1)
- Hymns for July 16: Come, we that love the Lord (392); Blessed Jesus, at thy word (440); O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God (505); We know that Christ is raised (29
Events next week:
Sunday, July 16: (Sixth Sunday After Pentecost)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Baptism with Holy Eucharist, Rite II (10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
- Vestry Meeting (12 noon)
Monday, July 17:
- Knifty Knitters, on break until mid-August
Tuesday, July 18: no events scheduled
Wednesday, July 19:
- Brotherhood of St. Andrew (7:30 a.m.)
- Bible Study , on break until September
- NO NOON EUCHARIST TODAY
- Yoga (5 p.m.)
Thursday, July 20:
- AA (8 p.m.)
Friday, July 21:
- Horizons Lunch prep and distribution (8:30 a.m.)
Saturday, July 22: no events scheduled
Sunday, July 23: (Seventh Sunday after Pentecost, Proper 11)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite I (8 a.m.)
- Holy Eucharist, Rite II(10:30 a.m.)
- Coffee Hour (11:30 a.m.)
Prayer Requests: I ask your prayers, as I do every week, for all those on our parish prayer list: Baylin, Corey, David, Debbie, Frank, Gracie, Hazen, Helen, Joan, Kathleen, Kevin, Lillian, Mark, Mary, Megan, Pat, Ryan, Susan, Tyler, Wendy, Margie Abler, Edna Abler, Carol Bain, Connor Campbell, Michael Chauvenet, Kim Christopher, Jed Deppman, Kim Devlin, Herb Friedman, Bill House, Bob Huntington, Chris Hunsicker, Norman King, Bob Kursch, Annie Lavin, Santosh Marray, Myrna Olsen, Mary Deringer Phelps, Philip Rosenberg, Peg Schreiber, Bette Smith, Cheryl Smith, Mark Smith, Anne Ward, Bill Weingarten, Traci Weingarten, Todd Wiggins, Marie Wrotten. Please know that you are always in my prayers and that I give thanks for your ministries in our parish community, in Chestertown, and beyond. ~~~ Darcy+